Mental Health & SEL Practice in Schools
- Understanding Minor Consent and Confidentiality in Colorado (CDE)
- A guide from the CDE which is instrumental in defining mental health services in schools and parses out individual circumstances about confidentiality on sensitive topics like parental rights, student choice, abortion, and sexual relationships between teens
- Best Practices in Social Emotional Learning (SEL) (Washington Association of School Administrators (through Hanover Research))
- Great analysis bringing together decades of research on how schools that incorporate Social Emotional Learning have students that attend school more often, have better grades, and have better relationships with adults, just to name a few!
Resource Guides & Trainings
SEL Curriculum & Tools
- Asset Education
- Incredible, easy to implement social emotional mini skills for instructors to utilize during class time for emotional regulation, stress management & focus
- 51 Mindfulness Exercises for Kids in the Classroom (Waterford.org)
- Simple to implement exercises for the classroom for emotional regulation
- A 5-week Guide to Develop a Caring Community (Alliance for a Healthier Generation)
- Separated out by grade level, step-by-step approach to make a difference in your community
- Planning for the Next Normal (Healthy Schools Campaign by Kaiser Permanente)
- Understanding that life will never be the same “after” COVID and incorporating important lessons in the foundation of cultural development
Universal Screening & Assessment
Mental Health Support Services
- CU Anschutz Teacher & Educator Well-Being Support Line – 303-724-2500
- Colorado Crisis Services
- Colorado Spirit is a grant-funded initiative out of the Allhealth network designed to support mental health practitioners. FREE resources include: Psychological First Aid Training, Compassion Fatigue for Educators, Wellness, Burnout and Pandemic Reactions.
- Spark the Change is a FREE resource that connects licensed, volunteer clinicians to students and communities in need of mental health response. Referees can get up to 10 sessions for free, as well as pertinent resources.
- Second Wind Fund is a FREE resource that connects licensed, volunteer clinicians to students at risk for suicide and in need of mental health response. Referees can get up to 12 sessions for free in person or through telehealth, as well as pertinent resources.
- Mental Health Colorado offers FREE screening tools in English and Spanish for people concerned that the mental health symptoms they are experiencing may be impacting their wellbeing.
- The Crisis Support Team is a FREE organization that provides consultation & guidance for schools that have experienced a significant systemic crisis.