State Board modifies Graduation Guidelines Menu for 2020-21 School Year
The state’s graduation guidelines were scheduled to be implemented for the first time for the class of 2021. However, the menu of options for demonstrating readiness for graduation includes the SAT, ACT, Accuplacer and IB assessments, some of which were cancelled or limited last spring because of the pandemic.
The state board’s action means schools and districts can use local assessments or grades to confirm students’ readiness for graduation in the 2020-21 school year. Full implementation of the state’s college and career ready graduation benchmarks for students are anticipated to continue for the 2021-22 school year.
Colorado’s Graduation Guidelines
Colorado Graduation Guidelines are a road map to help students and their families plan for success after high school. In order to graduate from high school, students choose from a Menu of Options – adopted at the local school board level – to demonstrate Postsecondary and Workforce Readiness (PWR) in English and math. The guidelines go into effect for the Class of 2021.
Beginning with the Class of 2021, in order to graduate from high school students must satisfy Colorado’s Graduation Guidelines through completion of the following requirements. Completion of these Guidelines allows a student to demonstration Postsecondary and Workforce Readiness (PWR) and earn a high school diploma.
- Demonstration of college or career readiness in English and Math based on at least one measure from the Menu of Options of College and Career Ready Demonstrations
- Completion of an Individual Career and Academic Plan (ICAP)
- Completion of a Civics course
To assist in your school’s implementation of Graduation Guidelines the Colorado Department of Education has made available several resources to help you and your school with this transition:
- Graduation Guidelines Promising Practices
- Graduation Guidelines Menu of Options and Special Populations Resources
- Colorado Graduation Provisions for Students with Individual Education Programs (IEPs)
- Graduation Guidelines FAQ’s
- CSI and CDE joint presentation on implementation of Graduation Guidelines
The first hour or so covers implementation of Colorado’s Graduation Guidelines, and the final ½ hour addresses Data Submissions for Graduation Guidelines.