Opportunities for schools to grow and change do not always align with the contract renewal timeline. To ensure Institute schools can make contract changes when desired, the Institute has developed a Charter Modification Request Process. This process provides Institute schools with a format to submit or propose changes to the Institute School’s charter and, when necessary, the charter contract. Although immaterial changes simply require written notification to the Institute, material modifications require advanced Institute approval. Requirements for making immaterial changes and material modifications are outlined below.
Schools are strongly encouraged to submit draft policy changes to CSI for review and feedback. Drafts can be sent to StephanieAragon@csi.state.co.us. In all cases, the school board should review and approve the final version before it is submitted to CSI for approval.
Changes to the following items require advanced written notification to the Institute but do not require advanced Institute approval:
- Location (additional facility, change of facility, new financing/leasing arrangement)*
- Articles of Incorporation and bylaws
- Budget (as updates are made, send to DavidSever@csi.state.co.us)
- School calendar/ hours (as updates are made, send to submissions_CSI@csi.state.co.us)
- Significant changes to organizational structure
- Family handbook
- Enrollment policies and procedures
If you are making a change to any of the above items, you do not need to complete a Charter Modification Request Form. Instead, please send an email notification with the updated document(s) to Stephanie Aragon at StephanieAragon@csi.state.co.us (unless otherwise noted). A change to an item marked with an (*) does not require formal Institute approval but will result in a contract amendment.
Although the above changes typically do not require advanced Institute approval, should a change materially affect the charter contract, pose a safety threat to the school community, or otherwise materially impact the academics, finances, or operations of the Institute School, the Institute reserves the right to require the Institute School to seek formal approval for the change. All modifications to any of these policies or documents must still be in accordance with both federal and state law. Please contact Stephanie Aragon at email@example.com if you have questions about whether a change would require Institute approval.
Changes to the following items are considered material to the charter, and require advanced Institute approval and submission of a Charter Modification Form (see below):
- Mission and vision*
- Insurance coverage (reduction in coverage)*
- Enrollment changes (including grade changes and expansion)*
- Food services *
- Transportation (including the addition of regular school-to-home, home-to-school transportation or purchase of transportation vehicle)*
- Education Program (overall school model, e.g., Montessori, Classical, Language Immersion, etc.)
- Curriculum, instructional program and pupil performance standards
- Education Service Provider (addition of or material change in services provided by an education service provider, including revisions to the management contract)*
- Program Plans (IEP, 504, GT, ELL)
- Interim Assessments
- Addition of an online program*
- Addition of other special programs (homeschool, before-and-after-school care, etc.)*
- Safety Plan
- Grievance policy
- Non-automatic waiver request*
CSI has 60 days to review and approve the proposed modification. A change to an item marked with an (*) will result in a contract amendment. The change is considered final upon written approval from the Institute.